The Light Foundation is unique among humanitarian organizations in advancing zakat as a vehicle for social change. The third pillar of Islam, zakat is an obligatory claim on the wealth of the affluent to empower the indigent. TLF channels this egalitarian spirit of zakat into a global vision of social development that transcends national boundaries, and stands as the foremost authority on interpreting zakat as a factor for positive change.
TLF strives to be an exceptional relief and development organization utilizing sustainable methods, while modeling the spirit of cooperative internationalism that will be essential in an increasingly unstable world. As a direct result of its reputation for path-breaking humanitarianism with a global vision, TLF is rapidly growing in reach and capacity. Every year brings new projects that expand the scope of our work and deepen its impact on the communities we serve.
In brief, TLF’s background is as follows:
- Incorporated in the year 2005
- Inspired and guided by the timeless values and teachings of the Holy Qur’an, and Prophetic examples (Sunnah), which recognise that people with wealth have a duty to those who are less fortunate.
- Main offices in Accra & Tamale
- Satellite & Project Offices in over 11 districts
- Currently employing 18 full time staff & 39 part-time personnel
- Availability of a broad base of trained volunteers